Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Kitchen House



The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom is a real page turner. It is the first book I downloaded to my new Kindle e-reader. (I'll tell you more about my Kindle later). I couldn't put the book down. It is set in the late 1700's and centers around an indentured servant named Lavinia. She is just a child when she arrives at the plantation. Her parent's have died on the ship from Ireland and Lavinia becomes a servant for the ship's captain on his plantation. She is given to a black slave named Belle who runs the Big House's kitchen. Belle and the other slaves become Lavinia's family. But there are tensions because Lavinia is white and even though she is an indentured servant, she is given priveleges the others don't enjoy. There is a constant pull between what the Big House family expects of her and her love for her true family of slaves.

This book never stops moving. I didn't feel there was ever a good place to stop. Good thing it was on my Kindle and I could easily take it everywhere with me.

Kyle gave me my Kindle for Valentine's day. I love that it holds many thousands of book. I love to keep books and re-read them. My favorite feature is the built-in dictionary. Just highlight a word and the definition pops right up. I usually read with a dictionary, so this is super helpful. I was reading a paper book and found myself wanting to highlight words. It is also easy to read while on the stiarmaster or treadmill which makes the time go by super fast.

No comments: